lørdag 25. februar 2012

Solved: Unable to load the Intel My WiFi Techology DLL file

I was really excited when I discovered that the Lenovo "Update and Drivers" application offered me to install Intel® Wireless Display (WiDi)  on my Thinkpad X1 laptop. The X1 includes the Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 Wi-FI adapter which includes Wireless Display.

My Sony TV is a few years old and does not support Intel WiDi out of the box. I happily scanned the inventory of local hardware shops in Oslo for a WiDi adapter and found a shop which had one NetGear Push2TV HD-TVadapter in stock.
I really like Netgear equipment, and I'm also using Netgear based wifi/gateway, ethernet over power and NAS.

The PTV2000 is reasonally priced, offers 1080p over HDMI in addition to composite video and analog audio.

I was really excited when I hooked up the equipment and started my Intel WiDi application on my X1. I was equally dismayed when this error message appeared:

"Unable to load The Intel My WiFi Tehcnology DLL file". It seems that a lot of people are getting this error message, not only Lenovo users. I looked quickly over the threads in different forums, but found only advice involving a lot of reinstallation of drivers in different order, and it seemed that those who tried it were not very successful.
For me, the following fixed the problem. The problem was not related directly to the Widi software, but to installation settings for Intel WiFi driver package. It seems that the semi-automatic installation from Lenovo performs a default installation of this package. My Lenovo system was installed with version 14.2.0.10 of the Intel Wifi Driver Update. That version is recommended by Netgear. I downloaded the latest version I could find from Intel and installed it. I chose a custom installation and made sure to include the Intel My WiFi Technology tool.

After a reboot, I also installed the latest version of Intel Wireless Display Utility, and the Intel WiDi widget. Now, the WiDi tool started without the DLL error, and I could easily enable My WiFi support and pair with the PTV2000. After the pairing process, I was also offered to upgrade the firmware of the Netgear device. This process was really user friendly.

The wireless display is quite easy to use. By enabling auto-connect to the adapter, the WiDi widget gets quite useful. It is very easy to activate WiDi and to choose which application to show on the TV, so that the laptop screen is free to use for e-mail and such.

If you are going to use Wireless Display for other purposes than showing movies, I really recommend configuring the screen settings on the TV to use pixel-for-pixel display mode to avoid scaling. The WiDi application allows you to adjust the scaling of the picture so that is suits your TV, but this setting should ALWAYS be set to 15 (no scaling), and your TV should be adjusted to show everything at this setting. Regarding resolution, I had problems running movies smoothly in 1080p, but setting the resolution to 720p worked flawlessly. I will use 1080p for other uses such as web browsing and programming. The only flaw on my Thinkpad X1 is the really low resolution on the built-in display, but now I can enjoy sitting in a comfortable chair, typing on the magnificent X1 keyboard while viewing the Windows desktop in full 1080p glory on my Sony 46". Thank you Intel!


Update: If you have all the required software installed, but are experiencing the DLL error message, the easiest solution might be to go to "Uninstall or change programs" in Control Panel. Locate the Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi software package (enter "Intel" in the upper right search field, to filter the list of installed programs). Select Change to launch the Intel wizard. Select Change in the wizard and make sure to include the Intel My WiFi tool before completing the wizard.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Thank you very much brother. With your ideas I found out how to get my dell n5110 working. I could tell I needed the tool kit, but the drivers I had been installing and driver booster installed would just default install like you said. I searched for the intel toolkit and found a later driver that supposedly had it. I wasn't sure it would work with my device but it did. There was a way to click for customize and I added the two options. Boom it fired right up, found the receiver (netgear ptv1000) and it has connected to my tv. It is on me if it plays well but it does work and seems fine. Will have to see how sports action plays, but then that is a problem many times for a lot of possible reasons. This is actually kind of outdated technology (I don't know why) but hopefully others can find this info and get theirs going. Thank you again very much.

    SvarSlett